With summer officially arriving over the weekend, I was thinking about all the things I would like to accomplish over the next couple of months. Let me rephrase that…thing I’m hoping to accomplish. Beach days, time at the pool, and playing outside are all oodles of fun, but sometimes it’s nice to actually think about either getting things done or doing things you wouldn’t normally do. I know some of the things on my list may sound silly, but I really want to get them done. So here goes…
1. Read at least two books. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but when you have two kids with you all the time, it is. I used to read a lot more adult books, but now my reading list doesn’t get past Dr. Seuss and Pete the Cat. Don’t get me wrong, they are both great, but sometimes you just need a little more substance.
2. Organize my closets…for real. Lame, I know. But, it needs to be done. My OCD has taken a back seat since I’ve had kids, but it’s creeping back into play. There just seems like there is so much junk…I mean treasures…to be discovered!
3. Find more things to sell on eBay. See, once I clean out the closets, I know I will find more junk…I mean treasures to sell. I was doing really well with this over the winter and spring, but I’ve gotten a little bit lazy. I know there are a lot of things that could and should be sold. I just need to stop being lazy about it and try to make some money!
4. Plan a girls day, weekend if possible. I’ll take anything I can get. As you get older, everyone’s lives get so much more complicated. Everyone is so busy that it’s hard to find time when everyone can get together. But, sometimes you just need it. Just some time away to finish a conversation, eat a meal in a restaurant while it’s hot, maybe even have two glasses of wine instead of one! Who’s with me?
5. Have at least 2 summer date nights. Kids, work, life…they just all get in the way of having a nice night out with the hubs. It’s great to have a conversation that doesn’t revolve around the latest Doc McStuffins or Dora episode. It’s nice to just reconnect as a couple without focusing all your energy on the kids.
6. Take the kids to the Bronx Zoo. I don’t know why I’m kinda obsessed with this one. My kids don’t even know what the Bronx Zoo is, but for some reason, I really want to take them. They’ve been to a smaller zoo before and loved it, so I’m sure they will enjoy this trip as well. I think I just really want to go myself since I haven’t been there since I was a little girl.
7. Go to one amusement park. Really, just one. My head and wallet can only manage one. I like them, but in small doses. I’m not one for upside down, throw up your lunch rides. I like to go on a few tame rides, take the kids around, play a couple of games and call it a day. We tried to go to one last year, but it never worked out for some reason. So, we’ll see what happens this year!
I’m sure there are other things I want to get done, but we’ll leave it at seven. I don’t want to get too adventurous and then feel like a failure if I can’t get it all done! I think it’s important to map out things you want to do. Once you see them in print, it makes them more real. Does that make any sense?
So, what do you want to do this summer? Do you have a summer bucket list?