3…2…1…Happy New School Year! Okay, so there’s no ball drop and no noise blowers or confetti. But, the beginning of a new school year really should be a holiday too. I don’t know about you, but I feel like the new school year is like the real new year…just a few months earlier…and a lot warmer.
In case you haven’t guessed, ever since my kids started going to school the new school year is one of my favorite non-holidays (although a Hallmark card to acknowledge would be nice, just sayin’). While I love having them home for the summer, really I do, there’s just so much excitement that comes along with a new school year. In case the new school year doesn’t have you reminiscing about your old Trapper Keepers and longing for a Capri Sun, here are some reasons why you should be:
1. New School Supplies: Okay, I’m a self-proclaimed geek so I love new school supplies. There’s just something about freshly sharpened pencils and clean notebooks. A fresh box of crayons with all 24 colors still intact…you just can’t go wrong. If that’s not enough to get you going, how about those new book bags and lunch boxes? I think I get more excited than the kids!
2. Bedtime is Back Baby: “It’s a school night.” The words are magic to any momma’s ears. They mean the kids are going to bed whether it’s still a tinge light out or not. They mean mommy can catch up on her 17 episodes of “Young & the Restless” that are waiting for her in the DVR. They mean getting on a schedule. Amen! Let me tell you, there’s nothing wrong with a little routine.
3. No Christmas Toys to Hide or Put Away: Usually around the real New Year, we’re still cleaning up from the holidays. It is tiring and annoying. There is so much junk…I mean valuable gifts, lying around the house. This means opening things, buying lots of AA batteries and sometimes hiding toys. Did I say that? We never hide toys. We also never secretly return toys. The great thing about the new school year is that you’re not dealing with more crap in your house. Simply put.
4. New Friends: If you weren’t a fan of your child’s BFF last year, there’s hope this year! Maybe he’ll find a friend who doesn’t think boogers are a new food group. Let’s be honest, there are some kids your child may love, but ones you could do without. A new school year brings hope of new friendships…minus the boogers. Fingers crossed.
5. Drop Off Chitter Chatter: While we all promise to hang out over the summer, sometimes getting together with school friends gets buried in the sand. Sometimes you don’t get together as much as you would have liked. Sometimes you miss hanging out. Sometimes it’s nice to drop off the kids and have a real conversation with someone else who isn’t worried whether Caillou will ever grow hair. It’s refreshing to talk to other moms and dads. There’s nothing wrong with momma getting some social interaction too. Plus, you may be able to figure out who has the booger-eating kid at lunch.
So, the next time the new school year’s got you down, think about what I’ve said. You can keep your champagne and noise blowers…okay maybe just the noise blowers…I’ll take a new school year over the real new year anyday. Now, where’s my Trapper Keeper…